Alexia Haynes, 6, of Virgil, has been identified by Cortland County law enforcement as the victim of the fatal crash.
Daniel A. Haynes III, 29, of West State Road in Virgil, is accused of causing the crash, which sent three children — ages 6 to 10 — to the hospital. Haynes is the father of all three children who were hurt in the crash, according to Syracuse.com.
An investigation revealed that Haynes was going east at a high speed when he lost control of the vehicle, struck a utility pole and came to rest on the shoulder of the road, according to law enforcement. (His charges are listed below.)
Since the accident, an online fundraiser has emerged to raise money for funeral expenses for Alexia, the 6-year-old who died.
As of Monday at around noon, $6,710 of the $10,000 goal had been raised from 147 donors.
From the GoFundMe page: “This sweet little girl’s life was lost as a result of drunk driving. Donations for the family to help with funeral costs and more! If we can give my friend one less thing to think about….please help.”
Here are the charges Haynes faces:
– Aggravated Vehicular Homicide, class “B” Felony
– Reckless Endangerment, class “D” Felony (4 counts)
– Unlawful Possession of Marijuana, violation
– Endangering the welfare of a child, Class “A” Misdemeanor (3 counts)
– Aggravated DWI (Leandra’s Law), Class “E” Felony (3 counts)
– Failed to stop at stop sign
– Speed not reasonable and prudent
– Failed to keep right
– Drove across hazard markings
– Consumption of alcohol in a motor vehicle
– No seat belt back passengers ages 8-15 (2 counts)
– No seat belt back passenger ages 4-7 (1 count)
– Reckless Driving