Supporters appear in court for Dryden man accused of rape, assault

ITHACA, N.Y. — A Dryden man accused of brutally raping and assaulting a woman was arraigned Thursday afternoon in Tompkins County Court.

[do_widget id= text-6 ]

About a dozen people, including relatives and friends, appeared in the court in an apparent expression of support for the defendant.

Jeffrey Horton, 52, appeared in court to be arraigned for 10 felonies and six misdemeanors in regard to a March 24 incident. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Though initially incarcerated at the Tompkins County Jail, he was released on $100,000 bail.

Related: Dryden man accused of brutal rape, assault of woman

Assistant District Attorney Wendy Franklin said in court that Horton had been seen recently within 3/10 of a mile of the victim's home. She asked the court to reconsider bail and increase it to $200,000 cash bail or $500,000 bond.

"We're concerned about that," Franklin said. "She's not feeling safe."

Franklin said Horton is being accused of felonies that, in some instances, are punishable by mandatory jail time of 25 years.

Horton is charged with:

— Third-degree menacing (Misdemeanor)

—Fourth-and-third-degree stalking (Misdemeanor)

—Second-degree unlawful imprisonment (Misdemeanor)

—Third-and-second-degree assault (Misdemeanor, Felony)

—First-degree sexual abuse (Felony)

—Third-degree aggravated sexual abuse (2 counts) (Felony)

—First-degree criminal sex act (Felony)

—First-degree rape (Felony)

—Second-degree burglary as a sexual motivated felony (Felony)

—Second-degree burglary (Felony)

— First-degree burglary as a sexually motivated felony (Felony)

—First-degree burglary (Felony)

Horton's attorney Luke Fenchel said there is no evidence that his client was that close to the victim's home. He called the current $100,000 bail high, but "reasonable" considering the charges.

Judge John Rowley denied the increased bail saying, "There is not a basis for us to take any action."

He did, however, approve a new order of protection Franklin requested. It requires Horton to stay at least 1,000 feet away from the woman.

As previously reported, the following comes from law enforcement records of the incident:

"He then attacked her, punching and hitting her in the face, before tying her hands behind her back and raping and sexually abusing her, records say.

At one point during the struggle, the woman broke free and attacked him while trying to flee, but was captured again and rebound with the rope.

He eventually untied her and left the home, saying that he was turning himself in to state police officers.

The attack lasted about two hours.

[do_widget id= text-7 ]