The following is a republished press release and not an article written by The Cortland Voice … to submit a community announcement, email Peter Blanchard at [email protected].
[do_widget id= text-6 ]
CORTLAND, N.Y. — SUNY Cortland will host the second annual “Cortland Counts” community forum in the College’s Corey Union Function Room from 1 to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 20.
The event offers an update on five areas of assessment locally: the economy, health, housing, sustainability and youth. “Cortland Counts” is free to attend and open to the public, but space is limited. Attendees are asked to call 607-756-4198 to RSVP.
Presentation topics will include:
- Health: Representatives from the Cortland County Health Department and the Cortland Regional Medical Center will outline the Community Health Improvement Plan.
- Housing: Kevin Pagini, a planner in the Cortland County Planning Department, will present on the community’s Comprehensive Housing Plan.
- Sustainability: Sean Vormwald and SUNY Cortland Professor Beth Klein, representing Solarize CNY, will speak to the area’s environmental progress.
- Youth: Michael Hoose, superintendent of the Cortland City School District, and Nancy Ruscio, superintendent of the Homer Central School District, will offer a presentation titled “Every Student Present.”
- Economy: Mack Cook, the city of Cortland’s director of administration and finance, will provide an update on local economic initiatives.
Additionally, Mary McGuire, director of SUNY Cortland’s Institute for Civic Engagement and an assistant professor of political science, will discuss the Economic Inequality Project, a joint initiative between the College and the community.
The “Cortland Counts” community forum is sponsored by the Seven Valleys Health Coalition and supported by a community assessment team that includes: the Cortland County Health Department, Cortland Regional Medical Center, the United Way of Cortland County and SUNY Cortland’s Institute for Civic Engagement.
Future meeting dates, times and locations for each area of assessment will be announced at the event.
[do_widget id= text-7 ]