Danby standoff will be independently reviewed by DOJ

ITHACA, N.Y. — A request for an independent review of police actions during the 2015 Danby standoff that left a man dead was approved by the Department of Justice.


Widget not in any sidebars

Deputy Tompkins County Administrator Paula E. F. Younger told the Tompkins County Legislature Tuesday night that after nearly nine months of efforts, the request was finally approved last week.

Related: Feds interested in events leading to fatal Danby standoff

"It will be totally independent," she said about the review.

She said a team of investigators — who have been provided with information about the incident in advance — will spend about 60 days in the county continuing the analyzation of the standoff.

"They've made it very clear to us that they're not putting a rubber stamp on anything," she said. "They're coming in with a fresh eye...''

The 61-hour standoff happened after law enforcement officials failed to serve 13 warrants to David Cady in connection with a DWI.

Cady died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after he fired on law enforcement and his family's home was destroyed.

Younger said the investigation is necessary to rebuild public trust to determine if police acted appropriately during the standoff.

Related: Archive of all Ithaca Voice stories written about the Danby standoff

The Cady home in the aftermath of the standoff

The Cady home in the aftermath of the standoff

 


Widget not in any sidebars