Cortland firefighters extinguish stove fire on Frederick Street

CORTLAND, N.Y. - A cooking mishap caused a small fire in a Cortland home Wednesday night.

At around 7:50 p.m., the City of Cortland Fire Department responded to a reported stove fire at 1 Frederick Avenue, a multi-family residence in Cortland.

Arriving firefighters reported the fire was extinguished by the sprinkler system, and the first floor was full of smoke.

The second engine that arrived began ventilating the smoke-filled apartment while firefighters turned off the sprinkler system to minimize damage to the structure. Crews worked quickly to minimize water damage by removing as much water as possible with squeegees and shop-vacs, according to Cortland Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Friedman.

Firefighters later determined that the fire started from a pot of hot oil on the stove, Friedman said.

No injuries to civilians or fighters were reported, and residents of the building were able to return to their home later in the evening.

The City of Cortland Fire Department reminds everyone to practice safe cooking as the holiday season approaches.