The 60th edition of the Cortaca Jug rivalry football game between SUNY Cortland and Ithaca College will be held on Saturday, Nov. 10.
But the excitement isn’t limited to just that one day. A week of fun-filled events with opportunities for giveaways and prizes kicks off on Monday, Nov. 5.
“The Cortaca Jug is much more than an annual football game,” said SUNY Cortland President Erik J. Bitterbaum. “It’s a legendary athletic tradition that’s unique in Division III sports. Over the last 60 years it has become part of the college’s identity; a bond that helps unite a diverse campus community and tens of thousands of proud alumni throughout the world.”
Sports Illustrated has referred to the annual Cortland-Ithaca matchup on the gridiron as “the Biggest Little Game in the Nation,” as the Cortaca Jug routinely draws upward of 10,000 fans to the SUNY Cortland campus every other year. Thousands of alumni attend dozens of viewing parties across the country and thousands more watch the game at home.
In Cortland, students have a number of ways to show off their school spirit safely and responsibly during Cortaca Week:
Monday, Nov. 5
CORTACART, 1 to 5 p.m., Student Life Center Multi-Activity Court
- Students will be able to experience the effects of high-risk drinking and drug use while navigating an obstacle course. Participants will be eligible for prizes and giveaways.
Tuesday, Nov. 6
Open Mic Night, 7 p.m., Corey Union Exhibition Lounge
- Singers, poets and more are encouraged to put their talents on display. Free food and dessert will be provided.
Wednesday, Nov. 7
Wellness Wednesday, noon to 3 p.m., Student Life Center lobby
- Learn more about how to party smart with health promotion interns and staff from the office of Substance Abuse Prevention and Education. There will be free refreshments and giveaways.
Thursday, Nov. 8
Psychic Readings, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Corey Union Rooms 201 and 203
- Find out what the future holds for you at a psychic reading in Corey Union.
Friday, Nov. 9
Cortaca Trivia, 7 p.m., Sperry Center, Room 105
- Show off your knowledge at trivia night.
Green Dot rock climb, 7:30 to 9 p.m., Student Life Center
- Learn about Green Dot while getting some exercise on the rock wall. The event is open to all students, faculty and staff. Climbing shoes will be provided for free.
Cortaca Mug, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., Interfaith Center, 7 Calvert St.
- Enjoy an evening of fun activities, including live music, free food and great prizes.
Saturday, Nov. 10
Cortaca Jug Game, noon, SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex
- The first 500 SUNY Cortland students to enter will receive a coupon good for one free hot dog, bag of chips and a beverage.
Cortaca Night of Events, 7 p.m., Corey Union
- Grocery bingo starts at 7 p.m. in the Function Room, followed by a pizza and wings party at 8:30 p.m. in the Exhibition Longue and a stuff-a-bear event in the Function Room at 9 p.m. The events are presented by the Student Activities Board.
Sunday, Nov. 11
Cortaca Clean Up, noon to 2 p.m., Brix Pubaria, 60 Main St.
- Meet at noon outside of Brix in downtown Cortland and spend a few hours helping to beautify the local community.