Firefighters extinguish blaze at Cortlandville home

 

CORTLAND, N.Y. — A Cortlandville family was awoken by the sound of a smoke detector and the smell of smoke Thanksgiving night.

At around 11:55 p.m. Thursday, a 911 caller reported a fire at a residence located at 829 North Lamont Circle.

Firefighters from the Cortlandville Fire Department arrived to find smoke had filled both levels of the home.

Utilizing a thermal imaging camera and information provided by the residents, crews discovered that embers and burning material from the fireplace had fallen through a crack in the fireplace’s hearth and onto the floor.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire. The functioning smoke detector and early notification to the fire department resulted in minimal damage of less than $10,000 to the residence.

The Cortlandville Fire Department was assisted by the Homer Fire Department, Cortland County 911 Center and the Town of Cortlandville Code Enforcement Officer.