Court papers: Marathon man confessed to rape after return from Michigan

CORTLAND — A police statement filed with the City Court reveals a Marathon man arrested for raping his son’s 15-year-old girlfriend confessed to police.

Michael K. Carman, 40, of 28 Academy Street, Apt. 1, Marathon, was arrested Saturday after giving a statement to officers, according to the city police department.

But before talking to police, Carman fled to Michigan as he thought he was going to be arrested for the crime, said Assistant District Attorney Christine Ferraro on Monday in City Court.

Carman – a small, balding man, about five feet tall with a bushy beard – arrived in court in shackles and an orange jumpsuit that read “Cayuga County Jail.” The Cortland County Correctional Facility is not yet operational after a roof leak in January caused the jail to transfer its prisoners to other facilities.

Carman is facing 25 years to life in prison, Ferraro told Judge Elizabeth Burns, asking his bail remain at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond. Burns granted the request.

Before his Saturday arrest, Carman repeatedly lied to his girlfriend about the attack when she asked him what happened, Ferraro told Burns. Carman also repeatedly lied to police in earlier statements, Ferraro said.

The District Attorney’s office has a “strong case” against Carman, she said.

Carman’s defense attorney, Assistant Public Defender Elizabeth Marris, argued he should be released as he has no criminal history, has lived most of his life in Cortland County and has worked as a truck driver for the last three months for the Ithaca Ice Company. Marris also emphasized Carman made a voluntary statement to city police.

“I’ve voluntarily spoken to police any time they’ve asked,” Carman told Burns.

Carman is currently living with his girlfriend and his mother is in the area, Marris said. She suggested Carman could report to Alternatives To Incarceration, an arm of the Cortland County Probation Department.

Burns asked if Carman would be able to return to his girlfriend’s residence. A woman who identified herself as Christine Miller and Carman’s girlfriend stood up from the court gallery and replied, “He is able to return home.”

An older woman in a motorized wheelchair sat with Miller in the audience.

Carman was arrested Saturday after making a statement to officers at the City Police Station at 25 Court St., according to police. Police first received a report of the attack in February, according to the department. Carman raped the 15-year-old girl, who was dating his son and spending the night their home, about 2:15 a.m. on Dec. 13, according to police. Carman was charged with first-degree rape and first-degree sex abuse, both felonies, as well as forcible touching, endangering the welfare of a child, providing a false written statement and obstructing government administration, misdemeanors.

Carman is scheduled to appear at 9 a.m. Wednesday in City Court.