Cincinnatus ends game on a double overtime draw against DeRuyter

Cincinnatus Jacob Smith dribbling the ball. (Ross Cohen/Cortland Voice).

Yesterday, the Cincinnatus Varsity boys soccer team fought hard against DeRuyter, trying to add another win to their record this season.

After both teams battled for a tiring 100 minutes in a tough and long fight, the game ended in a scoreless 0-0 tie after double overtime.

During the first 20-minutes of the first half, the Lions had complete control. With them applying a large amount of pressure in the midfield; leading them to successfully suffocate DeRuyter on their own side of the field.

The Lions were able to get passes down the sidelines, but in many occasions they were not able to get that last touch to set up an open shot on goal.

"Our game plan was working, we just didn't finish well," said Cincinnatus head coach Gordon Brown. "We had three or four opportunities that should have put the ball on the back of the net. We either kicked to the keeper's hand or he would make an incredible save."

Coming into the second half, the midfield area looked like a war zone out there. Both teams were fighting to keep possession of the ball in order to make a play and win the game.

The same energy kept both teams going through overtime.

By the end of the game, the Lions had a total of 21 shot attempts and eight corner kicks while DeRuyter only had four shot attempts and five corner kicks.

Cincinnatus goalkeeper Kooper Vosburg saves a shot. (Ross Cohen/Cortland Voice).

"Both teams were giving everything they had," added coach Brown. "It's been a long time since DeRuyter has come here and tied us. They were giving everything they had. We matched their effort because we kept them out of our goal, but it wasn't enough to win the game. We have to surpass that effort. We can't stay even. We have to get better."

The Lions are now 7-1-2 overall and will be going head to head against McGraw at SUNY Cortland tomorrow, Saturday September 28th. The game will start at 5 p.m.