Marathon varsity boys basketball squeaks out a win vs. Moravia

(Photo provided by Dionne DePuy).

Last night, the Marathon varsity boys basketball team were able to squeak out a (54-52) win at home after a close game against Moravia to improve to a 5-1 overall record.

It was a slow start for the Marathon Olympians, but they were able to take a one point lead at the end of the first quarter. However, Moravia continued to drive the lane in the second quarter in order to punish the Olympians, especially on rebounds with senior Kenyon DePuy being in foul trouble by picking up his third foul.

Marathon's freshman Conor Holland was able to keep the Olympians in the game after scoring five three-pointers in the half. Holland ended the game with 17 points.

The Olympians trailed by six (30-36) at the end of the first half.

Coming into the second half, the Olympians began to rely on DePuy to get rebounds and be the foundation of the offense. DePuy finished the game with his second double-double of the season after scoring a total of 11-points in the night.

Marathon was then able to cut the lead to one (43-44) at the end of the third quarter.

Both teams were then taking shots at each other during the fourth quarter. As with there being a short amount of time left, Marathon was only up by one (48-47), but Moravia's Gavin Stayton was able to drive into the paint to hit a three-point play to take back the lead (48-50).

In the next possession, senior guard Diego Castellot drove the lain and assisted DePuy for the game tying layup.

With the game all tied up and with there only being seconds left on the clock, Castellot grabbed an offense of rebound to score on a baseline floater with 2 seconds left to end the game. Castellot ended the game with a total of 18-points.

Up next, the Olympians will be on the road, as they travel to Whitney Point on Friday, December 20th. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

Here are some more photos of last night's game (All photos are provided by Dionne DePuy):