Press release from the Cortlandville Fire District.
At approximately 12:30pm, Saturday September 5, the Cortlandville Fire Department was dispatched to 23 Halstead Rd, for a report of smoke in the basement. Upon arrival firefighters found active fire in the basement. Firefighters worked quickly and had the fire extinguished within 5 minutes.
Firefighters remained on scene for about 45 minutes clearing smoke. The Cortlandville Fire Department was assisted by the Homer Fire Department.
The cause of the fire was from an overheated light ballast that ignited the ceiling around it. Fire personnel were cleared and in service by 1:30pm.