Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Monday’s events:
Varsity Baseball: Marathon vs. Moravia
The Marathon Olympians lost a tough 4-7 battle against Moravia.
The Olympians scored in the first inning of the game, but were not able to score again until the final inning of the game.
Moravia’s seven runs came in the fourth and fifth inning of the game (three runs in the fourth inning and four runs in the fifth inning).
Ian Gacek scored two runs for the Olympians; while Braydin Drake and Bryce Howe each scored one run.
Gacek also had a great pitching performance through the first three innings. He threw eight strikeouts.
“I thought we played well for our first outing of the year,” said Marathon Head Coach Bryan Hoyt. “Ian pitched very well and was in total command through the first three innings. The fourth inning it started sprinkling a little bit and he lost his footing a bit and it kind of threw him off, and he lost the command he had pitched with for the first three innings. I thought we played solid defense and did alright at the plate for our first time out, but we want to cut down on our strikeouts going forward. Give credit to Moravia, they were patients at the plate, drew some walks and had some timely hitting. Luke Landis did a great job of throwing strikes for them.”
Marathon Varsity Boys' Golf vs. Groton
The Marathon Olympians defeated Groton 212-232 in order to improve to a 2-0 record. (Reminder: lowest score wins in golf).
- Braeden Morrison-49
- Sam Castellot-53
- Kaiden Cornell-54
- Evan Larrabee-56
- Bryce Hartman-60
- Joey Hulbert-61
- Drake O'Connor- 50
- Zach Tagliavento- 57
- Karl Eldred - 61
- Dillon Skinner- 64
- Dominick Jump- 64
- Jason Rabebstein- 65
Varsity Track & Field: Marathon vs. Dryden and Moravia
The Marathon Olympians faced off in a three team event against Dryden and Moravia Monday evening.
Here are some highlights of both the boys' team and the girls' team:
Marathon Boys' Team
- Thomas White came in 2nd in the 1,600 meter race.
- Gabriel Teeter placed 2nd in the 400 meter dash. He also recorded a Personal Record in the race with a time of 0:58.17.
- Conor Holland finished 3rd in the 400 meter dash. He also placed 1st in the high jump event, recording a Personal Record of 5-4.00.
- Aidan Hafer placed 3rd in the 800 meter race, recording a Personal Record of 3:02.17.
- The Marathon boy’s 4x400 meter relay team (Aidan Hafer, Conor Holland, Gavin Labouf, and Thomas White) finished 2nd.
- Gavin Labouf placed 3rd in the long jump event, recording a Personal Record of 16-02.50.
- Christian Baez recorded a Personal Record of 24-03.50 on the shot-put event and another Personal Record of 62-00 on the discus throw event.
- Marathon (18) vs. Dryden (91)
- Marathon (40) vs. Moravia(43)
Marathon Girls' Team
- Rylee Thomas finished in 3rd place in the 1,500 meter race.
- Anna Hoyt placed 1st on bothe the 400 meter dash and the long jump event. She also recorded Personal Records on both events (1:11.55 in the 400 meter dash & 11-04.50 in the long jump event).
- Ella McConnell finished 2nd in the long jump event with a Personal Record of 10-04.50. She also hit a Personal Record of 0:34.77 in the 200 meter dash.
- The Marathon Girl’s 4x400 meter relay team (Anna Hoyt, Emily Struempfler, Rylee Thomas, and Megan Howard) finished in 1st place.
- Megan Howard hit a Personal Record of 51-09 in the discus throw event.
- Marathon (26) vs. Dryden (63)
- Marathon (29) vs. Moravia(54)
Homer Varsity Boys' Tennis vs. Chittenango
The Homer Trojans defeated Chittenango 3-2 to start the season.
All three Homer single players won their matches; while both doubles teams lost close games.
Here is a breakdown of Monday’s matches:
- First Singles: Homer’s Spencer Rusyniak defeated Chittenango’s Evan Edwards (6-3 & 6-1).
- Second Singles: Homer’s Raymond Meng defeated Chittenango’s Josh Boulter (6-0 & 6-2).
- Third Singles: Homer’s Jake Camp defeated Chittenango’s Micah Alpuerto (6-4 & 6-4)
- First Doubles: Homer’s Nik Kruman and Conor Powers lost to Chittenango’s Luke Dahlin, Artie Paul (6-2 & 6-2).
Second Doubles: Homer’s Brandon McLaughlin, Elijah Smith lost to Chittenango’s Andrew Graf, Jacob Podunajec (6-4 & 6-4).