Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Monday’s events:
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Homer vs. Skaneateles
The Lady Trojans lost their first game of the season against Skaneateles with a score of 5-15 on the road.
It was a tough game from the beginning for Homer, as they were down 2-12 at the half.
The Trojans were led by Annika Roos (3 goals), Kloey Roos (2 goals), Katlyn Sovocool (1 goal & 1 assist), Camryn Calabro (1 goal & 1 assist), and Lauren Walling (1 goal).
Homer goalkeeper Sarah Sovocool also had 4 saves in the game.
Varsity Boys Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Jamesville-Dewitt
The Cortland Purple Tigers were defeated by Jamesville-Dewitt on the road (5-23).
It was a tough start for the Tigers, as they were down 3-15 at the end of the half. Jamesville-Dewitt then finished the game by scoring 8 additional goals in the second half.
Cortland’s Owen Riley and Benjamin McGrath scored 2 goals a piece while Derek Myers scored 1.
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Jamesville-Dewitt
The Cortland Lady Tigers lost a tough game against Jamesville-Dewitt with a score of 1-16.
Cortland’s only goal was scored by Margaret Starr in the first half of the game.
Cortland ended the game with a total of 6 shots and 5 ground balls, while Jamesville-Dewitt had 29 shots and 12 ground balls.
Varsity Baseball: Cortland vs. Jamesville-Dewitt
The Cortland Purple Tigers won an extremely close game against Jamesville-Dewitt to start off the week with a score of 8-7.
Both teams opened up the scoreboard in the third inning. It was anyone’s game after that.
With the score tied in the bottom of the last inning of the game, Cortland’s Kooper Knabe was able to get a walk-off that brought Tyler Blake to home plate and seal the game.
Caden Congdon led Cortland offensively with 2 runs. Max Gambitta, Jason Carr, Nick Yonta, Tyler Blake, Adam Minnard, and Caden Albright all scored 1 run each.
Kooper Knabe had a great pitching game, throwing a total of 7 strikeouts.
Varsity Softball: Homer vs. Mexico
The Homer Lady Trojans lost to Mexico on the road with a score of 10-16.
The Lady Trojans got off to a good start, after being up 7-3 after the two opening innings. However, Mexico then rallied to get the win at the end of the ball game.
Cecelia Rappleyea led Homer with 3 runs and 3 RBI’s. Following Rappleyea were Sara Cargen (2 runs), Alexis Small (1 run), Lillian Luety (1 run), Morgan Brown (1 run), Catherine Apker (1 run), and Isabelle Read (1 run).
Varsity Baseball: McGraw vs. Brookfield
The McGraw Golden Eagles lost a tough game against Brookfoeld with a score of 5-11 to start the season.
“It’s been a year since many of our players have played a competitive baseball game, so I knew going into this game we would have to shake a lot of rust off,” said McGraw Head Coach Corey Wilson. “I was very proud of how our players continued to battle throughout the game and defensively we made some great plays from our outfield. Our core pitchers are very young and having not really got much work off the mound this year due to the inconsistency with the weather.”
The Eagles were led offensively by Michael Levitskiy (2 runs), Nate Stiles (2 runs), and Nolan Knickerbocker (1 run).
Both Bergey Blake and Nate Stiles threw 2 strikeouts each from the mound.
Varsity Boys Tennis: Cortland vs. Auburn
The Cortland boys tennis team lost 0-5 against Auburn.
According to Cortland Head Coach Andrew Starinsky, Cortland forfeited their first and second doubles teams, giving Auburn an automatic 2 match advantage.
Here are the results of the rest of the matches that took place:
- First Singles: Cortland’s Matt Meagley lost to Auburn’s Michael Clark (1-6 & 1-6).
- Second Singles: Cortland’s Connor Tasselmyer lost a close match to Auburn’s Riley Fitzgerald (5-7 & 5-7).
- Third Singles: Cortland’s Mike Guido lost to Auburn’s Brody Wagner (1-6 & 0-6).
Varsity Boys Golf: Cincinnatus vs. McGraw
The Cincinnatus Lions defeated the McGraw Eagles Monday evening with a score of 263-284. (Reminder: lowest score in golf wins).
- Collin Ervin- 36
- LJ Frink- 42
- Garrett Frink- 61
- Matt Kemp- 59
- Mason Walker- 65
- Caleb Knickerbocker- 38
- Dakota Nauseef- 53
- Jacob Bilodeau- 65
- Sam Hubbard- 70
- Zander Weeks- 58
Varsity Track & Field: Marathon vs. Groton & Whitney Point
The Marathon Olympians competed in a three-way dual meet against Groton and Whitney Point Monday afternoon.
Here are some highlights of both the girls’ team and the boys’ team:
- Anna Hoyt finished 2nd in the 400 meter dash and came in 3rd in the long jump event.
- Emily Struempfler came in 2nd in the 800 meter race and placed 3rd in the 400 meter dash.
- Rylee Thomas finished in 1st place in the 800 meter race.
- Marathon (22) vs. Groton (77)
- Marathon (23) vs. Whitney Point (53).
- Jacob Pixley finished in 1st place in both the 100 meter dash and the pole vault event. He also came in 2nd in the 200 meter dash.
- Thomas White placed 3rd in both the 800 meter race and the 1,600 meter race.
- Gabriel Teeter finished in 1st place in the 400 meter dash and came in 2nd in the long jump event.
- Conor Holland came in 1st place in both the 200 meter dash and the high jump event.
- Christian Baez came in 1st in the discus event and placed 2nd in the shot put event.
- Marathon (45) vs. Groton (55)
- Marathon (55) vs. Whitney Point (29).