Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s event
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Chittenango
The Homer Trojans competed against Chittenango Wednesday evening. The girls’ team won 68-58 while the boys’ team lost 60-68.
Here are some highlights of both the girls’ team and the boys’ team:
- Camdyn Cole placed 1st in the 100 meter dash, the 200 meter dash, and high jump event. Her 200 meter time of 28.9 second qualifies her for Sectionals.
- Jane Gugerty came in 1st place in the 100 meter hurdles, the 400 hurdles, and triple jump event.
- Hannah McMasters won 1st place in both the shot put and discus events. Her shot put throw of 33-4.5 broke the Homer Junior Class Record.
- Eddie Russo, Julie McGory, Jane Gugerty, and Camdyn Cole won the 4×100 meter relay.
- Eddie Russo placed 2nd in both the 200 meter dash and the long jump event.
- Emma Anderson placed 2nd in bothe the 400 meter hurdles and the 3,000 meter race.
- Mayshelle Hyde placed 2nd in the discus event.
- Morgan Robideau placed 3rd in the 100 meter dash and the long jump event.
- Cece Berkey came in 3rd in the discus event.
- Ethan Lowell won 1st place in the triple jump event and the 3,200 meter race. He also came in 3rd in the 1,600 meter race.
- Tommy Mahunik placed 1st in the 400 meter dash and came in 2nd in the 200 meter dash.
- Cooper VanDee placed 1st in the discus event. He also came in 2nd in the 400 meter dash.
- Jonah Campos won 1st place on the shot put event.
- Tommy Mahunik, Jed Swayze, Zane Moheimani, and Cooper VanDee won the 4 x 400 meter relay.
- Jed Swayze came in 2nd in both the 800 meter race and the 1,600 meter race.
- Gabe O’Donnell placed 2nd in both the 110 meter high hurdles and the 400 meter hurdles.
- Andrew Lynch Jr. came in 2nd in the 100 meter dash. He also placed 3rd in the shot put event.
- Gabe Austin placed 3rd in the 200 meter dash.
- Dylan Pittsley came in 3rd in the triple jump event.
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Central Square
The Cortland Purple Tigers lost 4-11 to Central Square on Wednesday night.
Cortland was down 1-4 at the end of the first half of the game, and they were not able to catch up to Central Square in the second half.
Margaret Starr led Cortland with 1 goal and 2 assists. Following Starr were Gabby Cranfield (1 goal), Lily Call (1 goal), Olivia Magin (1 goal), and Aubree Larkin (1 assist).
Cortland ended the game with a total of 14 shots, 18 ground balls, and 9 draws. Central Square had 24 shots, 10 ground balls, and 7 draws.
“A sunny day, but we couldn’t connect both ends of the field today,” said Cortland Head Coach Kindra Catalano. “The stats show that even with ground ball pick ups and draw controls, turnovers and mistakes on both attack and defense cost us today.”
Varsity Softball: McGraw vs. Otselic Valley
The McGraw Golden Eagles won a close game against Otselic Valley with a score of 10-7
The Eagles were led offensively by Hannah Fitzgerald (2 runs), Emily Fish (2 runs), Hannah Wilson (1 run), Lexi Stiles (1 run), Ella Fish (1 run), Megan Stull (1 run), Madison Boyer (1 run), and Sarah Thornton (1 run).
Lexi Stiles also threw 8 strikeouts from the mound.
Varsity Softball: Homer vs. Jordan-Elbridge
The Homer Lady Trojans lost a close matchup against Jordan-Elbridge with a score of 2-4.
Lillian Luety and Cecelia Rappleyea scored the only two runs for the Trojans. Isabelle Read had a great game at the mound, pitching a total of 5 strikeouts.
Jordan-Elbridge was led offensively by Abigail Ahern (3 runs) and Marrin McKennan (1 run).
Varsity Softball: Cincinnatus vs. Madison
The Cincinnatus Lions suffered a tough 5-19 loss against madison.
The Lions were led offensively by Jayla Hall (1 run), Kiana Guinn (1 run), Kaylee Brenchley (1 run), Piper Landers (1 run), and Bryer Torrance (1 run).
Kaylee Brenchley also threw 5 strikeouts from the mound.
Madison’s Chloe Eastman threw 12 strikeouts.
Varsity Baseball: Marathon vs. Newfield
The Marathon Olympians lost a close and defensive game against Newfield with a score of 3-5.
The Olympians were led offensively by Ian Gacek (2 runs) and Evan Ticknor (1 run).
Zachary Birdsall threw 3 strikeouts and got a RBI at the plate for the Olympians.
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw vs. Stockbridge Valley
The Mcgraw Golden Eagles lost a close game against Stockbridge Valley with a score of 255-241. (Reminder: lowest score in golf wins).
- Caleb Knickerbocker- 45
- Brok Montesano- 42
- Owen Thomas- 64
- Zander Weeks- 51
- Jacob Bilodeau- 53
- Sam Hubbard-66
- Tom Meeker- 51
- Rocco Pizzolo- 50
- Cooper Marshall- 56
- Kieffer Kohl- 52
- Caden Jones- 36
- Dylin Crowley- 52
Varsity Boys Golf: Cincinnatus vs. DeRuyter
The Cincinnatus Lions lost to DeRuyter Wednesday evening with a score of 303-227. (Reminder: lowest score in golf wins).
- Collin Ervin- 48
- LJ Frink- 60
- Josh Smith- 69
- Matt Kemp- 67
- Mason Walker- 59
- Lane Adams- 38
- Tristan Worlock- 48
- Brandon Darrow- 48
- Garrett Wood- 48
- Dylan Skeele- 45