Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Monday’s events:
Varsity Softball: Homer vs. Solvay
It was a high scoring game at Homer yesterday evening, as the Homer Lady Trojans defeated Solvay 24-13.
The Trojans were led offensively by Sara Cargen (5 runs & 2 RBI’s), Catherine Apker (4 runs & 5 RBI’s), Cecelia Rappleyea (3 runs & 5 RBI’s), Isabelle Read (3 runs & 2 RBI’s), Morgan Brown (3 runs & 2 RBI’s), Lillian Luety (2 runs & 3 RBI’s), Abigail Villnave (2 runs & 3 RBI’s), Alexis Small (1 run & 1 RBI), and Jenna Henderson (1 run).
“Both teams were hitting the ball and finding some gaps,” said Homer Head Coach Cris Colasurdo. “Several players with multiple hits tonight.”
“The girls are a good hard working group, who work well with each other,” added Coach Colasurdo.
Varsity Softball: McGraw vs. Madison
The Mcgraw Golden Eagles started their week by defeating Madison on the road Monday with a score of 16-6.
The Eagles were led offensively by Hannah Fitzgerald (3 runs), Sarah Thornton (3 runs), Tehya Long/Paige Simmonds (3 runs), Hannah Wilson (2 runs), Madison Boyer (2 runs), Lexi Stiles (1 run), Megan Stull (1 run), and Ella Fish (1 run).
“My girls came to play today,” said McGraw Head Coach Jessyca Doran. “The girls came right out of the gate hitting and fielding. Fighting hard! Lexi Stiles pitched an amazing game with 5 strikeouts and only 3 walks. Hannah Fitzgerald had amazing saves in center field not letting one ball hit the ground. Everyone was on their toes tonight and I could not be any prouder of this team and how well they are playing together. Great game played by all.”
Varsity Softball: Cincinnatus vs. DeRuyter
The Cincinnatus Lions suffered a tough 7-22 loss against DeRuyter.
Cincinnatus’ runs were scored by Phoebe Smith (3 runs), Marin Dumian (2 runs), and Mia Stirone (2 runs).
Mia Stirone also threw 6 strikeouts from the mound.
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Homer vs. LaFayette
The Homer Trojans defeated LaFayette at home with a score of 17-3 Monday night.
The Trojans already had a 12-0 lead by halftime, and were able to finish the game off by scoring 5 additional goals in the second half.
Homer was led by Kloey Roos (7 goals & 3 assists), Katlyn Sovocool (2 goals & 5 assists), Camryn Calabro (3 goals & 1 assist), Hannah Slade (2 goals), Sydney O’Donnell (1 goal & 1 assist), Lauren Walling (1 goal & 1 assist), and Fiona Hartnett (1 goal).
Homer goalie Sarah Sovocool had 4 saves in the game.
Varsity Track & Field: Marathon vs. Trumansburg & Southern Cayuga
The Marathon Olympians competed in a three-way dual meet against Trumansburg and Southern Cayuga Monday afternoon.
Here are some highlights of both the girls’ team and the boys’ team:
- Rylee Thomas placed 3rd in the 1,500 meter run (Finals time- 6:29.18).
- Anna Hoyt placed 3rd in the 400 meter dash (Finals time- 1:10.75).
- Anna Hoyt placed 3rd in the long jump event (Finals result- 12’-02”.00).
- Emily Struempfler came in 3rd in the 800 meter run (Finals time- 3:15.07).
Final Team Results:
- Marathon (29) – Southern Cayuga (63)
- Marathon (19) – Trumansburg (88)
- Jacob Pixley came in 2nd place in the 100 meter dash (Finals time- 12.73).
- Jacob Pixley placed 3rd in the 200 meter dash (Finals time- 27.22).
- Jacob Pixley placed 3rd in the pole vault event (Finals result- 7’00”.00).
- Connort Brown won 1st place in the 1,600 meter run (Finals time- 6:56.72).
- Gabriel Teeter placed 3rd in the 400 meter dash (Finals time- 55.92).
- Gabriel Teeter placed 3rd in the triple jump event (Finals result- 29’-09”.75).
- Thomas White won 1st place in the 3,200 meter run (Finals time- 12:16.07).
- Gavin Labouf placed 3rd in the long jump event (Finals result- 15’-01”.25).
Final Team Results:
- Marathon (50) – Southern Cayuga (40)
- Marathon (20) – Trumansburg (105)