Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Westhill
The Homer Trojans competed against Westhill in a dual meet on Wednesday. The boys’ team won 66-61 and the girls’ team lost 36-101.
Homer Boys Highlights:
- Ethan Lowell won 1st place in the 3,200 meter run (Time- 11:43.2) and the triple jump (Result- 34’7”). He also came in 2nd in the long jump (Result- 17’10”), and 3rd in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 5:08.3). Both his 1,600 meter time and his long jump performance qualify him for the Sectional Championships.
- Gabe O’Donnell won 1st place in the 110 meter hurdles (Time- 19.6) and the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 66.0). He also placed 2nd in the high jump (Result- 5’0”). His 400 meter hurdle time qualifies him for the Sectional Championships.
- Tommy Mahunik won 1st place in the 200 meter dash (Time- 23.9) and the 400 meter dash (Time- 53.2).
- Jonah Campos placed 1st in the shot put event (Result- 35;0.25”) and came in 3rd in the discus event (Result- 78’5.5”).
- Cooper VanDee won the 800 meter run with a Sectional Championship qualifying time of (2:10.3).
- Jed Swayze came in 1st in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 5:02.8).
- Andrew Lynch Jr. placed 2nd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 12.2), the shot put event (Result- 32’2”), and the discus event (Result- 79’2”).
- David Morse finished 3rd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 12.4).
- Zane Moheimani finished 3rd in the 800 meter run (Time- 2:18.1).
- Alden Lowell finished 3rd in the triple jump (Result- 29’6.5”).
- Anderson Lowell placed 3rd in the shot put event (Result- 29’10”).
Homer Girls Highlights:
- Alyssa Swayze won 1st place in the 1,500 run (Time- 5:51.4) and placed 2nd in the 800 meter run (Time- 2:40.5).
- Emma Rahner came in 1st place in the 3,000 meter run (Time- 14:38.5).
- Jane Gugerty placed 2nd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 13.3), triple jump (Result- 30’11.5”), and the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 70.9). Jane’s performance has qualified her for the Sectional Championships in all three events.
- Eddie Russo placed 2nd in the 200 meter dash (Time- 29.7). She also came in 3rd in the long jump (Result- 13’1.75”).
- Camdyn Cole placed 2nd in the high jump event (Result- 4’2”) and came in 3rd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 13.9).
- Brianna Cash placed 2nd in the 400 meter dash (Time- 75.3).
- Emma Anderson placed 3rd in the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 78.4) and the 200 meter dash (Time- 30.3).
- Taylor Chisholm placed 3rd in the shot put event (Time- 20’9.5”).
Varsity Baseball: Homer vs. Marcellus
The Homer Trojans lost a tough and close game against Marcellus with a score of 3-2
Homer’s Jed Brazo and Jacob Atkins scored the only 2 runs for the Trojans. Both Mitchell Earle and Richard Lambrecht contributed with 1 RBI each.
Joseph Case threw 4 strikeouts in the game.
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw & Cincinnatus vs Multiple Schools (2021 CCL Tournament)
The McGraw and Cincinnatus boys golf teams competed in this year’s CCL Tournament against DeRuyter and Stockbridge Valley.
DeRuyter won the tournament. McGraw placed 2nd, Stockbridge Valley came in 3rd, and Deruyter finished 4th.
Here are the final team and individual results of the tournament. (Reminder: lowest score in golf wins).
Team Total- 442
- Lane Adams- 78
- Tristan Warlock- 90
- Cameron Daley- 109
- Garrett Wood- 84
- Dylan Skeetle- 91
- Nick Whitmarsh- 99
Team Total- 542
- Caleb Knickerbocker- 88
- Brok Montesano- 100
- Zander Weeks- 99
- Blake Weeks- 121
- Jacob Bilodeau- 134
- Sam Hubbard- 140
Team Total- 548
- Caden Jones- 113
- Rocco Pizzuto- 110
- Dylin Crowley- 131
- Alex Smith- 100
- Keiffer Koehl- 112
- Cooper Marshall- 113
Team Total- 591
- Collin Ervin- 105
- LJ Frink- 117
- Mason Walker- 118
- Josh Smith- 124
- Garrett Frink- 145
- Matt Kemp- 127