Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Jordan Elbridge
The Cortland Purple Tigers played their last game of the season on Wednesday. They defeated Jordan Elbridge with a score of 13-9.
“Though we had a slow start, I am glad we were able to rely on our habits and finish the season with a win,” said Cortland Head Coach Kindra Catalano.
Cortland’s offense was led by Cortland Gabby Cranfield (2 goals), Megan Harrington (2 goals & 2 assists), Paige Ludwig (4 goals & 1 assist), Lily Call (4 goals & 3 assists), and Margaret Starr (1 goal)
Cortland goalie Daina Gutierrez recorded 8 saves.
Varsity Baseball: Cortland vs. Auburn
Cortland’s hot 15 game winning streak came to an end on Wednesday, as they lost their first game of the season to Auburn with a score of 4-0. Cortland’s overall record is now 15-1.
All of Auburn’s scoring runs came in the third and fourth innings.
Cortland’s Tyler Blake still had a great game on the mound with a total of 9 strikeouts. Caden Congdon also contributed with 3 additional strikeouts from the mound.
Varsity Track & Field: Cortland vs. Oswego
The Cortland Purple Tigers competed in a dual meet against Oswego on Wednesday. Here are some individual highlights of both the boys’ team and the girls’ team.
- Joe Cataldo finished 1st in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 4:54.8) and the 800 meter run (Time- 2:14.2). His 1,600 meter time qualifies him for Sectionals.
- Jack Waldbauer placed 1st in the high jump event (Result- 5’5”). His result qualifies him for Sectionals.
- Cortland (34) – (97) Oswego
- Malana Booker- came in 1st place in the 100 meter dash (Time- 13.3), the high jump event (Result- 5’0”), and the long jump event (Result- 16’7”)
- Campbell Bush- placed 1st in the 100 meter high hurdles (Time- 18.5)
- Ella Quick- finished 1st in the 400 meter dash (Time- 60.5)
- Celeste Perkins – placed 1st in the triple jump event ( Result- 31.5’0”)
- Cortland’s 4×100 relay team- Campbell Bush, Celeste Perkins, Rileigh Madden, Malana Booker( placed 1st (Time- 54.6)
- Yet to be determined.
Varsity Track & Field: Cincinnatus vs. Multiple Schools (OHSL Patriot American Championships)
The Cincinnatus Varsity Track & Field team competed in the OHSL Patriot American Championships this week. The Lions competed against six other teams (Tully, Fabius-Pompey, Onondaga, DeRuyter, Bishop Grimes, and Faith Heritage).
Here are the team results of the meet for both the boys’ teams and the girls’ teams:
Boys Team Results:
- Tully- 206
- Fabius-Pompey- 98
- Cincinnatus- 62
- Onondaga- 39
- DeRuyter- 34
- Bishop Grimes- 30
- Faith Heritage- 23
Girls Team Results:
- Tully- 241
- Fabius-Pompey- 97
- Cincinnatus- 53
- Bishop Grimes- 43
- Onondaga- 24
- DeRuyter- 19
- Faith Heritage- 1