Press release provided by Cortland County Clerk of the Legislature Savannah Hempstead.
Heavy rainfall Tuesday night caused flooding throughout northern Cortland County. The areas most affected by Tuesday’s rainfall are Scott, Preble, Truxton and Cuyler. The flash floods caused blocked culverts and roads to flood. Cortland County’s Highway Department and Emergency Response personnel continue to clean up the debris and assess the damage.
More widespread, steady moderate to heavy rainfall is expected through Thursday according to the National Weather Service, with the chance of more flooding.
Please stay vigilant and do the following to remain safe during this weather event:
- Sign up for the County Hyper-Reach notification system to stay informed at https://secure.hyperreach.com/comsignupw.jsp?id=46962
- Do not drive around barricades and heed cautionary signs.
- Do not drive through standing water, as the roads may become washed out.
- Use extreme caution, as water levels and the rate of flowing water can quickly change.
- Avoid flood waters at all costs.
The Cortland County Highway Department has reported that Song Mountain Road is closed until further notice (local traffic only) due to dangerous road conditions.