Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Thursday’s events:
Varsity Girls Basketball: Marathon vs. Moravia
The Marathon Lady Olympians lost a close game to Moravia at home with a score of 54-55 Thursday night.
This was the Olympians’ first loss of the season, bringing them down to a 3-1 record. Marathon entered the half with an 8 point lead.
The Olympians were led by Brooke Tillotson (33 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 7 steals & 3 blocks), Abigail Ensign (19 points, 5 rebounds & 4 steals), Anna Hoyt (2 points, 1 rebound & 1 steal), and Addison Oram (2 rebounds & 3 assists).
Moravia was led by Katherine Baylor (20 points) and Chloe Hanson (11 points).
“As a team, I think we struggled breaking their press,” said Marathon Captain Brooke Tillotson. “In the first and second quarters, we had a lot of turnovers from getting passes picked off and turnovers off the dribble. We just panicked a little too much.”
The Olympians’ next game will be played on Tuesday (December 14th) against Southern Cayuga on the road. The game is scheduled to tipoff at 7:30pm.
Here are some photos of last night’s game:
During the game Abigail Ensign hit a half-court shot before the end of the first quarter and a deep shot from near her team’s bench as the game ended. Here is a video of the shot that closed the first quarter:
Varsity Indoor Track & Field: Homer Boys vs. Multiple Schools (Oscar Jensen Relays)
The Homer Varsity Boys Indoor Track & Field team competed in the Oscar Jensen Relays at Onondaga Community College’s SRC Arena on Thursday. (Note: the event was a relay meet where every event required multiple competitors).
The Homer Trojans placed 6th out of 13 teams in the meet.
- Marcellus – 93
- Cicero-North Syracuse – 74
- Westhill – 61.50
- Jamesville Dewitt – 57
- Tully – 50
- Homer – 46
- Phoenix – 30
- Syracuse Academy of Science – 22
- Cato-Meridian – 17.50
- CBA – 15
- Fulton – 14
- Bishop Grimes – 2
- Corcoran – 2
- Tasker Dennis and Bryce Hoffmann won 1st place in the 2 x Shot Put event. (Results- Tasker Dennis: 35’3.0” & Bryce Hoffmann: 34’4.0”).
- Logan Darling and Tasker Dennis placed 2nd in the 2 x Weight Throw. (Results- Logan Darling: 39’3.0” & Tasker Dennis: 34’0”). Logan’s throw was a personal best. Both Logan and Tasker have now qualified for the Sectional Championships.
- Tommy Mahunik and Cooper Vandee placed 2nd in the 2 x 300 meter run. (Results- Tommy Mahunik: 38.83 & Cooper Vandee: 40.14). Tommy’s time qualifies him for the Sectional Championships.
- Jack Smith and Garrett Sickmon placed 3rd in the 2 x 55 meter high hurdles. (Results- Jack Smith: 9.14 & Garrett Sickmon 11.08). Garrett’s time was a personal best. Jack’s time qualifies him for the Sectional Championships.
- Andrew Lynch Jr. and Dominic Rosato placed 4th in the 2 x 55 meter dash. Results- Andrew Lynch Jr: 7.23 & Dominic Rosato: 7.79). Both ran personal best times.
- Jack Smith and Dylan Pittsley placed fifth in the 2 x Long Jump. (Results- Jack Smith: 17”07” & Dylan Pittsley: 13’1.75”). Jack’s jump qualifies him for the Sectional Championships.
Varsity Indoor Track & Field: Homer Girls vs. Multiple Schools (Oscar Jensen Relays)
The Homer Varsity Girls Indoor Track & Field team competed in the Oscar Jensen Relays at Onondaga Community College’s SRC Arena Thursday night. (Note: the event was a relay meet where every event required multiple competitors).
The Homer Lady Trojans placed 9th out of 13 teams in the meet.
- Cicero North Syracuse – 95
- Westhill – 72.5
- Jamesville Dewitt – 65.5
- Marcellus – 59
- Fulton – 49
- Cato-Meridian – 39
- Syracuse Academy of Science – 25.5
- Christian Brothers Academy – 16
- Homer – 15
- Phoenix – 14.5
- Corcoran – 12
- Bishop Grimes – 4
- Tully – 2
- Molly McMasters and Mayshelle Hyde teamed up to place 4th in the 2 x Weight Throw. (Results- Molly McMasters 23’10.50” & Mayshelle Hyde: 22’8.50”). Mayshelle’s Weight Throw was a personal best.
- Mikayla Smith and Caitlin McCloy combined to take 5th place in the 2 x Long Jump. (Results- Mikayla Smith: 12’6.75” & Caitlin McCloy: 12’5.25”). Both girls had personal best Long Jump performances.
- Alyssa Swayze and Maggie Mahunik placed 6th in the 2 x 1,000 meter run. (Times- Alyssa Swayze: 3:42.83 & Maggie Mahunik 4:03.19).