Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Boys Basketball: Cincinnatus vs. Fabius-Pompey
The Cincinnatus Lions defeated Fabius Pompey in the final round of the “Sports Boosters Holiday Tournament” with a score of 53-35 Wednesday night.
The Lions were led by Scott Schuyler (16 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists & 7 steals), Cason Stafford (14 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists & 3 steals), and Tyler Liddle (11 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks & 2 steals).
Fabius-Pompey was led by Grayson Wallace (16 points) and Alexander Stanley (9 points).
According to Cincinnatus head coach Jim Halstrom, both Scott Schuyler and Cason Stafford were placed in the “All Tournament Team”. Scott Schuyler was also named the tournament’s MVP (Most Valuable Player).
Up next, Cincinnatus will host McGraw on Monday (January 10th) at 7pm.
Varsity Boys Basketball: McGraw vs. Oriskany
The McGraw Eagles lost a tough game against Oriskany in the “Madison Christmas Tournament” finals Wednesday night with a score of 40-44.
McGraw was led by Quintin Burdick (23 points) and Nick Sutton (12 points).
Oriskany was led by Alexander Burrows (14 points) and Jack Tamburino (13 points).
McGraw’s next game will be on the road against DeRuyter on Wednesday (January 5th) at 7pm.
Varsity Boys Basketball: Cortland vs. Dryden
The Cortland Purple Tigers beat Dryden 56-46 in order to advance to the “Cortland Holiday Tournament” finals.
Cortland will host the tournament finals tonight (December 30th) against DeRuyter at 7pm.
Varsity Girls Basketball: McGraw vs. Otselic Valley
The McGraw Lady Eagles won last night’s consolation game of the “Sports Boosters Holiday Tournament” in Fabius-Pompey against Otselic Valley with a score of 35-16.
The Eagles were led by Hannah Wilson (13 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists & 7 steals), Lexi McCall (8 points & 3 steals), Hailey Mccall (4 points, 5 rebounds & 7 blocks), and Heather Magee (4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists & 5 steals).
Otselic Valley was led by Emily Miller (8 points & 5 rebounds) and Tori Foster (4 points, 2 rebounds & 6 steals).
McGraw’s next game will be against Hamilton on the road on Tuesday (December 4th) at 5:30pm.
Varsity Ice Hockey: Cortland-Homer vs. Cazenovia
The Cortland-Homer Golden Eagles suffered a tough 5-1 loss against Cazenovia in the final round of the “Holiday Tournament” at the JM McDonald Sports Complex against Cazenovia.
Cortland-Homer was led by Logan Goodman (1 goal), Mitchell Riter (1 assist), and Riley Delage (23 saves).
Cazenovia was led by Will Penoyer (2 goals & 2 assists), Jacob Owens (1 goal & 1 assist), Forrest Ives (3 assists), James LeFever (1 goal & 1 assist), Logan Hull (1 goal), and Riley Newcomb (1 assist).
Up next, Cortland-Homer will play against Oswego on the road on Tuesday (January 4th) at 7pm.
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Schools
The Homer boys and girls varsity indoor track & field teams competed in the Quinney Invitational meet on Wednesday at SUNY Cortland. The Homer boys team finished 5th out of 15 teams, while the Homer girls team placed 8th out of 14 teams.
Here are some individual highlights of both the boys’ and girls’ teams from Homer:
- Jack Smith won 1st place in the 55 meter high hurdles (Time- 9.11 seconds). He also placed 3rd in the triple jump (Result- 34’8”).
- Jack Smith, Garrett Sickmon, Jonah Campos, and Orie Bush placed 2nd in the 4x400 meter relay (Time- 4:35.56).
- Garrett Sickmon placed 3rd in the 55 meter high hurdles (Time- 9.87).
- Nick Costa, Anthony Guido, Dominick Rosato, and Bryce Hoffmann placed 3rd in the 4x200 meter relay (Time- 1:57.48).
- Bryce Hoffmann placed 5th in the shot put (Result- 35’5”).
- Logan Darling placed 6th in the shot put (Result- 34’2.5”).
- Hannah McMasters came in 2nd in the shot put (Result-27’4”).
- Camdyn Cole, Caitlin McCloy, Mikayla Smith, and Alyssa Swayze placed 2nd in the 4x200 relay (Time- 2:04.20).
- Camdyn Cole finished 3rd in the pole vault (6’6”).
- Alyssa Swayze placed 6th in the 1,000 meter run (Time- 3:54.03).
- Molly McMasters placed 6th in the shot put (Result- 23’3”).
Varsity Track & Field: Marathon vs. Multiple Schools
The Marathon boys and girls varsity indoor track & field teams competed in the Quinney Invitational meet on Wednesday at SUNY Cortland. The Marathon boys team finished 13th out of 15 teams, while the Marathon girls team placed 12th out of 14 teams.
Here are some individual highlights of both the boys’ and girls’ teams from Marathon:
- Robert Anderson placed 5th in the 600 meter run (Time- 1:46.41).
- Aidan Haffer finished 8th in the 600 meter run (1:49.23).
- Abigail Trabucco placed 2nd in the pole vault (Result- 7’00”). She also finished 9th in the 600 meter run (Time- 1:58.88).
- Thomas Rylee placed 9th in the 1,500 meter run (Time- 6:40.58).