Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Indoor Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Schools (2022 Section III State Qualifier Meet)
The Homer boys and girls indoor track and field teams competed in this year’s Section III State Qualifier Meet Wednesday evening.
The four athletes from Homer that competed in the meet were Tommy Mahunik, Tasker Dennis, Logan Darling, and Hannah McMasters.
- Tommy Mahunik came in 2nd in the 600 meter run (Time- 1:25.81). According to Homer Coach George Schneider, Mahunik’s time “broke the Homer senior class record in the event, and most importantly earned him a trip to the State Championships.”
- Tasker Dennis placed 11th in the shot put event (Result- 36’07.50”).
- Logan Darling placed 10th in the weight throw event (Result- 44‘2.5”).
- Hannah McMasters came in 4th in the shot put event (Result- 32’04.25”).
Tommy Mahunik is now scheduled to compete in the New York State Championships on March 5th at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Staten Island.
Varsity Indoor Track & Field: Cortland vs. Multiple Schools (2022 Section III State Qualifier Meet)
The Cortland boys and girls indoor track and field teams participated in the 2022 Section III State Qualifier Meet on Wednesday.
The four athletes from Cortland that participated in the meet were Jack Phelan, Jared Valentin, Lillian Call, and Celeste Perkins.
- Jack Phelan placed 6th in the triple jump event (Result- 40’07.75”). He also placed 11th in the long jump event (Result- 19’0.50”)
- Jared Valentin came in 5th in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 4:35.61).
- Lillian Call placed 4th in the 600 meter run (Time- 1:43.37).
- Celeste Perkins was not able to place in the triple jump event after recording three fouls.