Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Monday’s events:
Varsity Boys Tennis: Cortland vs. Jamesville-Dewitt
The Cortland Purple Tigers lost to Jamesville-Dewitt with an overall team score of 1-5 Monday afternoon.
Here is a breakdown of Monday’s matches:
- First Singles: Cortland’s Tyler Cranfield defeated Jamesville-Dewitt’s Shrey Bhatt (6-2 & 6-1).
- Second Singles: Jamesville-Dewitt’s Will Sharlow defeated Cortland’s Daniel Zhang (0-6 & 4-6)
- Third Singles: Jamesville-Dewitt’s Carson Souser defeated Connor Tasselmyer (4-6, 6-3 & 6-7 (3-10)).
- First Doubles: Jamesville-Dewitt’s Mark Bratslavsky & Daksh Maini defeated Cortland’s Jeremie Hale Jr & Wrangler Vanslyke (1-6 & 0-6).
- Second Doubles: Jamesville-Dewitt’s Isaiah Steinberg & Dean Bratslavksi defeated Cortland’s Jonathan Elmore & Sai Patel (0-6 & 0-6).
- Third Doubles: Jamesville-Dewitt’s Michael Dibiase & Yaniu Shimshon defeated Cortland’s Kyle Taylor & Corey Smith (3-6 & 0-6).
Varsity Boys Tennis: Homer vs. Skaneateles
The Homer Trojans lost with a team score of 2-3 against Skaneateles on Monday.
Here is a breakdown of Monday’s matches:
- First Singles: Homer’s Spencer Rusyniak defeated Skaneateles’ Max Karpinski (7-5 & 6-0).
- Second Singles: Skaneateles’ Jake Salzhauer defeated Homer’s Raymond Meng (3-6, 6-4 & 3-6).
- Third Singles: Skaneateles’ Marty McNeil defeated Homer’s Jake Camp (4-6 & 1-6).
- First Doubles: Skaneateles’ Hatcher Gutchess & Evan Wingfield defeated Conor Powers & Jackson Henderson (3-6 & 4-6).
- Second Doubles: Homer’s Nik Kruman & Brandon McLaughlin defeated Skaneateles’ Nicholas Cerimeli, Ethan Pickup (6-3. 2-6 & 6-4).
Varsity Boys Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Jamesville-Dewitt
The Cortland Purple Tigers lost a tough game against Jamesville-Dewitt with a score of 3-17. With this result, Cortland has fallen to a 1-11 record.
Cortland was led by Benjamin McGrath (2 goals), Joseph Banewicz (1 goal), Matthew Honan (3 saves), and Declan Vail (3 saves).
Note: Individual stats for Jamesville-Dewitt were not available by the time this article was written.
Up next, Cortland will play East Syracuse Minoa at home tonight (May 10th) at 6pm.
Varsity Baseball: Cortland vs. Central Square
The Cortland varsity baseball team defeated Central Square 3-2 after an extra inning on the road Monday afternoon. With this win, the Cortland Purple Tigers improved their overall record to 14-1.
Cortland was led by Max Gambitta (2 runs & 2 hits), Caden Albright (1 hit & 1 RBI), Ethan Johnson (1 run), Scott Hourigan (1 hit & 1 RBI), and Kooper Knabe (7 strikeouts thrown).
Central Square was led by Trevor Boyce (1 hit), Kristopher Betts (1 RBI), Dante Coppola (1 hit & 1 strikeout thrown), Brian Weed II (1 run & 2 hits), Richard Fleishman Jr (1 run & 1 hit), and Colby Fox (1 hit).
Cortland’s next game is now scheduled to play Central Square again today (May 10th) at 4:30pm, but this time they will play at Gutchess Lumber Sports Complex.
Varsity Baseball: Homer vs. Mexico
The Homer Trojans improved their overall record to 11-4 after taking down Mexico with a score of 8-2 on the road Monday evening.
Homer was led by Noah Young (1 hit), Joey Case (1 RBI), Tristan Allen (2 runs & 2 hits), Mitchell Earle (2 runs, 1 hit & 1 RBI), Braden Marsh (1 RBI), Jon Barnes (1 run & 1 hit), Maddox Johnson (1 hit, 2 RBI’s & 1 strikeout thrown), Tanner Douglass (3 runs, 1 hit & 1 RBI), and Zander Johnson (10 strikeouts thrown).
Mexico was led by Dawson Cory (1 run & 1 hit), Connor Dubois (1 hit), Jacob Poissant (1 run, 2 hits & 1 RBI), Evan Caroccio (1 hit), Johnathan Greeno (5 strikeouts thrown), and Evan Lenhart (3 strikeouts thrown).
Up next, Homer will play Skaneateles on the road this Thursday (May 12th) at 5pm.
Varsity Baseball: Marathon vs. Groton
The Marathon Olympians lost 5-13 at home against Groton Monday afternoon.
Marathon was led by Ian Gacek (2 hits, 1 RBI, 2 runs & 8 strikeouts thrown), Jacob Byron (2 hits, 1 RBI & 1 strikeout thrown), Tristin Byron (1 hit & 2 RBI’s), Braydin Drake (1 hit), Jeff Daugherty (1 hit), and Trevor Hurlbert (1 hit).
Groton was led by Austin Hunt (2 hits, 4 RBI’s, 2 runs & 6 strikeouts thrown), Lucas Darling (2 hits & 3 runs), Jeter Neff (1 hit, 1 RBI & 1 run), Ben DeMateo (1 hit, 1 run & 4 strikeouts thrown).
Marathon’s next game will be played at home against McGraw on Wednesday (May 11th) at 4:30pm.
Varsity Softball: Marathon vs. Dryden
The Marathon Lady Olympians lost a tough game against Dryden with a score of 7-19.
Note: Individual stats of the game were not available by the time this article was written.
Up next, Marathon will play Whitney Point on the road today (May 10th) at 4:30pm.
Varsity Track & Field: Marathon vs. Multiple Schools (IAC Divisional Meet)
The Marathon Olympians competed in IAC Divisional Meet Monday afternoon against multiple schools.
Here are some highlights of both the Marathon varsity boys and girls track & field teams:
- Conor Holland placed 2nd in the 400 meter run (Time- 54.10) and in the high jump event (Result- 6’1”). He also placed 3rd in the 200 meter dash (Time- 25.30).
- Shaelin Phillips finished 5th in the 800 meter run (Time- 3:08.01).
- Abigail Trabucco came in 3rd in the 400 meter run (Time- 1:04.53). She also placed 5th in the pole vault event (Result- 7’7”).
- Addison Oram placed 3rd in the 200 meter dash (Time- 29.64).
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw vs. Cincinnatus
The Cortland County rivalry matchup between the McGraw Eagles and the Cincinnatus Lions ended up with McGraw winning with a close overall team score of 279-294 on Monday. (Reminder: Lowest score in golf wins).
Varsity Boys Golf: Marathon vs. Groton
The Marathon Olympians lost a tight match against Groton with an overall score of 199-189 at the Stonehedge Golf Course on Monday. (Reminder: Lowest score in golf wins).