Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Cortland vs. Cazenovia
The Cortland Lady Tigers lost 7-17 against Cazenovia on Wednesday, bringing them down to an overall record of 3-9.
Cortland was led by Gabrielle Cranfield (3 goals), Olivia Magin (3 goals), Valerosa Gambitta (1 goal), and Hayden Bulger (4 saves).
Cazenovia was led by Lily Clonan (1 goal), Charlie Prior (2 goals & 1 assist), Katie Rajkowski (5 goals & 1 assist), Madison DeAngelis (1 goal), Megan Kuhn (1 goal & 1 assist), Dali Dennison (1 goal), Hadley Schug (1 goal), Riley Knapp (3 goals), Maren Smith (2 goals), and Mackenzie Halliday (7 saves).
Cortland’s next game will be at home against Chittenango this Saturday (May 14th) at 11am.
Varsity Boys Tennis: Cortland vs. Fulton
The Cortland Purple Tigers lost to Fulton with an overall team score of 2-4 Wednesday afternoon.
Here is a breakdown of Wednesday’s matches:
- First Singles: Cortland’s Tyler Cranfield defeated Fulton’s Kieran O'Hanlon (6-0 & 6-1).
- Second Singles: Fulton’s Elijah Turner defeated Cortland’s Daniel Zhang (4-6,7-5 & 11-9).
- Third Singles: Fulton’s Vincent Salerno defeated Cortland’s Connor Tasselmyer (4-6, 6-1 & 6-4).
- First Doubles: Fulton’s Ryan Nichols & Riley Thompson defeated Cortland’s Jeremie Hale Jr & Wrangler Slyke (6-3 & 6-2).
- Second Doubles: Fulton’s Shawn Cornell & Ethan Rogan defeated Cortland’s Sai Patel & Kyle Taylor (6-2 & 6-4).
- Third Doubles: Cortland’s Jonathan Elmore & Corey Smith defeated Fulton’s Ashton Abdallah & Simon Bradshaw (6-2 & 6-2).
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw vs. Madison
The McGraw Golden Eagles won 286-309 against Madison Wednesday afternoon (Reminder: Lowest score in golf wins).
Here are the individual scores of each team:
- Zander Weeks - 54
- Owen Thomas - 63
- Blake Weeks - 57
- Jacob Bilodeau - 56
- Sam Hubbard - 56
- Tyler Smith - 63*
- Brian Sitts - 55
- Max Sykes - 60
- Caleb Sctieuk - 65
- Gavin Nelson - 59
- Matt Post - 70
- Justin Barns - 74*
Varsity Track & Field: Cortland vs. Fulton & Oswego
The Cortland track & field team competed in a three-way dual meet against Fulton and Oswego Wednesday afternoon.
Here are Cortland’s results and highlights from of yesterday’s meet:
- Cortland (63) vs. Fulton (71)
- Cortland (41) vs. Oswego (99)
- Jack Ryan placed 2nd in the 110 meter high hurdles (Time-18.7). He also placed 3rd in the pole vault event (Result- 8’0”) and the high jump event (Result- 5’2”).
- Jack Waldbauer came in 3rd in the 110 meter high hurdles (Time-18.7). He also came in 2nd in the 400 meter hurdles (Time 64.7) and the high jump event (Result- 5’10”).
- Reagan Hillman placed 2nd in the 400 meter run (Time- 58.3).
- Asa Terwilliger came in 2nd in the 800 meter run (Time- 2:15.5)
- Jack Phelan placed 2nd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 11.3). He also placed 3rd in the long jump event (Result- 19’1.25”).
- Duncan Harbin won 1st place in the shot put event (Result- 36’8”).
- Bryan Honan placed 3rd in the discus throw event (Result- 98’4.5”).
Note: Unfortunately, the team and individual results of the Cortland girls' meet were not available to us by the time this article was written.
Varsity Track & Field: Cincinnatus vs. Multiple Schools
The Cincinnatus track & field team competed in a meet at Tully high school against multiple teams Wednesday afternoon.
Here are some of Cincinnatus’ highlights from of yesterday’s meet (Note: not all results of the meet were available by the time this article was written):
Cincinnatus Boys Highlights
- Tyler Liddle won 1st place in the long jump event (Result- 19’10”), the triple jump event (Result- 38’4.75”) and the discus throw event (Result- 105’1.25”).
Cincinnatus Girls Highlights
- Shailynn Davis placed 5th in the 110 meter hurdles (Time- 21.4).
- Madelyn Pittsley came in 4th in the 100 meter dash (Time- 13.9). She also placed 3rd in the long jump event (Result- 14’3”) and the triple jump event (Result- 29’5”).
- Brooke Finn finished 4th in the 400 meter run (Time- 75.0).
- Courtney Scutt came in 4th in the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 1:27.8).
- Peyton Stith placed 2nd in the 3,200 meter run (Time- 14:34.3).
- Justice Crane placed 2nd in the high jump event (Result- 4’10”). She also came in 3rd in the discus throw event (Result- 74’10”) and 5th in the shot put event (Result- 27’0.5”)
- Ava Nenno placed 4th in the high jump event (Result- 4’4”). She also placed 6th in the pole vault event (Result- 5’6”).
Varsity Softball: Homer vs. Cortland
The Homer Lady Trojans lost a tough game against Cortland on senior night Wednesday evening with a final score of 8-9.
Varsity Baseball: McGraw vs. Marathon
The McGraw Eagles defeated the Marathon Olympians with a close score of 9-4 on the road.