Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Friday’s events:
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Schools (2022 OHSL Liberty League Large School Division Championships)
The Homer Trojans competed in the 2022 OHSL Liberty League Large School Division Championships against multiple teams Friday afternoon.
According to Homer head coach George Schneider, “event winners earned First Team All-League Honors, and second place finishers earned Second Team All-League Honors.”
Here are some individual highlights of yesterday’s meet for both the Homer boys’ and girls’ track & field teams:
- Cooper Van Dee won 1st place in the 400 meter run (Time- 52.71). His time was a personal best, and qualifies him for the Section III State Qualifier.
- Tommy Mahunik won 1st place in the 800 meter run (Time- 2:02.75). His time was a personal best, and qualifies him for the Section III State Qualifier.
- David Songer won 1st place in the shot put event (Result- 39’6.25”).
- Tasker Dennis placed 2ns in the shot put event (Result- 37’5.25”).
- Damian Brown placed 4th in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 5:02.34). He also placed 6th in the 3,200 meter run (Time- 2:04.81). His 1,600 meter time was a personal best.
- Brodrick Butts (59.4), Cooper Van Dee (58.4), Zane Moheimani (58.6), and Tommy Mahunik (54.9) came in 4th in the 4x400 meter relay (Overall Time- 3:51.39).
- Logan Darling placed 5th in the discus throw event (Result- 94’1”).
- Ryan Poole (2:28.5), Anderson Lowell (2:32.4), Caleb Ficchi (2:38.0), and Matt Fish (2:28.0) placed 5th in the 4x800 meter relay (Overall Time- 10:06.77). All four team members ran personal best splits.
- Nick Costa, Dominick Rosato, Gabe Austin, and Brodrick Butts placed 6th in the 4x100 meter relay (Overall Time- 48.34). Their time was the fastest run by Homer this year.
- Gabe Austin ran his fastest 200 meter dash of the year (Time- 25.46) which qualifies him for Sectionals.
- Jane Gugerty won 1st place in the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 70.33). She also placed 2nd in the 100 meter hurdles (Time- 16.62) and the triple jump event (Result- 32’3.75”). Her 100 meter hurdle time was a personal best, and qualifies her for the Section III State Qualifier. Her 400 meter hurdle time was a season best performance as well.
- Hannah McMasters won 1st place in the shot put event (Result- 31’2.5”). She also placed 6th in the discus throw event (Result- 75’7”).
- Taylor Chisholm, Camdyn Cole, Jane Gugerty, and Caitlin McCloy came in 2nd place in the 4x100 meter relay (Overall Time- 53.85). Their time was the fastest run by Homer this spring.
- Camdyn Cole came in 3rd in the 100 meter dash (Time- 13.53). She also tied for 4th place in the high jump event (Result- 4’4”), and came in 6th in the 200 meter dash (Time- 28.16). Her 100 meter dash and 200 meter dash times were personal bests.
- Brielle Gilbert placed 6th in the 400 meter run (Time- 77.28). Her time was a personal best.
- Maggie Mahunik placed 6th in the 3,000 meter run (Time- 13:58.52). Her time was a personal best.
Varsity Baseball: McGraw vs. Brookfield
The McGraw Eagles lost a close game against Brookfield in eleven innings Friday afternoon. With this loss, McGraw now holds an overall record of 7-6-1.
McGraw was led by Nolan Knickerbocker (3 hits & 4 RBI’s), Nick Sutton (1 run & 1 hit), Matthew Heath (1 RBI), Jaydon Bassett (2 runs, 2 hits & 5 strikeouts thrown), Blair Mulcahy (3 runs, 1 hit & 1 RBI), Riley VanLiew (1 hit), and Nate Stiles (2 strikeouts thrown).
Note: Individual stats for Brookfield were not available by the time this article was written.
According to the Section III website, there will be a seeding meeting for the upcoming sectional tournament this Sunday (May 22nd).
Varsity Girls Golf: Marathon vs. Multiple Schools (IAC Championships)
The Marathon Lady Olympians competed in the IAC Championships at Tomasso's Golf Course on Friday, where they placed 4th overall as a team.