Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Tuesday’s events:
Varsity Track & Field: Homer at Section III Class B-1 Meet
The Homer varsity boys, girls track and field teams competed in the Section III Class B-1 championship meet on Thursday evening at Vernon-Verona-Sherrill High School.
The Trojans’ girls squad finished seventh out of 12 teams, while the boys’ team came in 10th out of 12.
Below are highlights from each Trojan team, according to Homer track coach George Schneider.
- Jane Gugerty won the 100 hurdles and the 400 hurdles. She was seeded second in both events. In the 100 hurdles it was very obvious that the wind had a large impact on the competitors. Gugerty did the best job handling the wind and won with a time of 17.08 seconds. The 400 hurdles was more of the same with a huge head wind for the entire back stretch and far corner. She was able to overcome it and run a season best time of 69.86 seconds. Jane also placed third in the triple jump with a personal best performance of 33-1.
- Hannah McMasters won the shot put with a throw of 32’ 5.25.” Her nearest competitor was nearly four feet behind her.
- Taylor Chisholm, Camdyn Cole, Gugerty and Caitlin McCloy placed fourth in the 4 x 100 with a time of 54.46 seconds.
- Camdyn Cole placed sixth in the 100 meters with a time of 13.59 seconds.
- Logan Darling won the discus with a personal best throw of 115-0.
- David Songer placed second in the shot put with a throw of 38-4.
- Tommy Mahunik placed fourth in the 800 with a time of 2:06.03.
- Jonah Campos had a personal best throw of 105-10 to place sixth in the discus.
- Cooper Van Dee placed sixth in the 400 with a time of 55.95 seconds.
- Damian Brown placed sixth in the 1600 with a time of 5:08.96.
- Ryan Poole (2:25.2), Anderson Lowell (2:37.0), Caleb Ficchi (2:43.5), and Matt Fish (2:22.3) ran a time of 10:07.94 to place sixth in the 4 x 800. Ryan and Matt ran personal best splits.
- Van Dee (57.9), Zane Moheimani (61.0), Brodrick Butts (62.1), and Mahunik (56.6) placed sixth in the 4 x 400 with a time of 3:57.57.
- Butts (12.16), Gabe Austin (12.38), and Dominick Rosato (12.57) all ran personal best times in the 100.
Gugerty, McMasters, Mahunik and Van Dee will all compete in the Section III state qualifier next Thursday at Cicero-North Syracuse High School.
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw and Cincinnatus at Central Counties League Golf Tournament
The McGraw varsity boys golf team won the Central Counties League (CCL) Golf Tournament title on Thursday at Seven Oaks Golf Club in Hamilton.
The Eagles won with a combined score of 530. Cincinnatus as a team came in second (539).
McGraw’s Zander Weeks received medalist honors after he shot a 94. His teammate, Daltyn Busby, scored a 98.
For the Lions, Kris Loomis compiled a score of 95. Zack Streichert scored a 101.
Zander Weeks got the nod for CCL first-team all-stars. Also for McGraw, Tyler Smith was a second-team all-star, and Blake Weeks received honorable mention.
Varsity Girls Lacrosse: Homer vs. Fulton (Section III Class C semifinal round)
The two-seeded Homer varsity girls lacrosse team lost 13-12 to third-seeded Fulton in the Section III Class C semifinal round on Thursday at Paul V. Moore High School in Central Square.
Kloey Roos led the Trojans with six goals, an assist, four ground balls and nine draw controls. Camryn Calabro chipped in three goals, two assists and four draw controls. Gracie Patriarco finished with two goals, an assist and two draw controls. Hannah Slade contributed a goal. Sarah Sovocool made four saves in goal.
Homer finished its 2022 season with a 13-5 record.
Varsity Softball: Marathon vs. Deposit/Hancock (Section IV Class C semifinal round)
The third-seeded Marathon varsity softball team lost 19-1 to second-seeded Deposit/Hancock in the Section IV semifinal round on Thursday.
The Olympians’ lone run of the game came in the top of the sixth inning. Audrey Jasper led off with a single. Jasper proceeded to steal second and third base, then stole home to score.
“(Deposit/Hancock) has a really good team and you can not make mistakes, or they score,” Marathon coach Jamie Bush said. “We had our chances to score, but (Deposit/Hancock) shut us down tonight.”
Bush continued, “We were outmatched, but our team tried their best and finished out their season with pride, honor, and effort. As a coach that is all you can ask for and I am proud of this year's team.”
Marathon capped its 2022 campaign with a 9-8 mark.
Here are baseball scores from Thursday evening (At Gutchess Lumber Sports Complex):
Section III Class A quarterfinal round: Cortland 14, New Hartford (A breakdown of the game can be seen here).
Section III Class B quarterfinal round: Marcellus 5, Homer 3 (A breakdown of the game can be seen here).