A lawn mower caught on fire near Valley View Drive in the town of Cortlandville over the weekend, according to a Cortlandville Fire Department report.
The report noted the fire from the lawn mower was starting to catch the surrounding leaves on fire. Eight members of the Cortlandville fire department contained the fire within 15 minutes.
No injuries, or damage to other buildings, were reported.
The Cortlandville Fire Department is reminding residents to use caution when using a lawn mower to mulch leaves. Mulching leaves with a lawn mower is considered “extremely flammable” and could spread fires fast.
The report also mentioned that burning leaves in New York State is strictly prohibited in open piles and burn pits/barrels.