City of Cortland officials officially set a milestone timeline for the hiring process of the director of administration and finance position at the Common Council meeting earlier this week.
The position, which has been vacant since near the end of Dec. 2021, will be attached to the following milestones in the coming months:
- Screen candidates, background reviews – Jan. 12-Feb. 28
- Qualify/assess top-three candidates to profile – March 2
- Interview top-three candidates on site – March 16-23
- Final review of candidates, recommendations to the mayor, and negotiations – March 24-31
- Common Council resolution to confirm hiring – April 4
City officials have advertised the position with eight state and national municipal associations, including the New York Conference of Mayors (NYCOM) and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA).
Until the position is filled, Common Council on Tuesday voted unanimously to designate mayor Scott Steve and acting mayor Tom Michales having certain fiscal powers within the city. This move is authorized by New York State Local Finance Law.
Steve, corporation counsel AJ Meldrim, and councilperson Pat Lane (D-4th Ward) engaged in a brief discussion at Tuesday’s meeting about the city’s fiscal responsibilities until the director of finance and admin position is filled.
A copy of the recruitment brochure that breaks down the city’s director of administration and finance position can be seen here.