A special thank you goes to Visions Federal Credit Union for partnering with us to provide the greater Cortland County community with additional sports coverage
Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Wednesday’s events:
Varsity Girls Volleyball: Cincinnatus vs. Fabius-Pompey
The Cincinnatus Lady Lions improved to an 11-3 overall record after defeating Fabius-Pompey in five sets.
Cincinnatus was led by Caitlyn St. Germain (16 service points, 3 aces & 25 assists), Allyson St. Germain (6 aces, 11 kills & 43 digs), Payton Gerrard (10 service points), Kaedance Latta (11 kills & 15 digs), Shannon Ryan (3 aces & 11 service points), and Cassia Schuyler (15 digs & 9 service points).
Fabius-Pompey was led by Payton Taylor (20 digs & 15 assists), Izzy Burton (26 digs & 5 kills), and Elsa Hull (11 digs & 16 assists).
Up next, Cincinnatus will play Onondaga at Wheeler Elementary on Thursday (February 2nd) at 7pm.
Varsity Girls Volleyball: McGraw vs. Stockbridge Valley
The McGraw Lady Eagles lost a tough matchup against Stockbridge Valley after five sets Wednesday night.
With this loss, McGraw has fallen to an overall record of 2-12.
Note: stats of the match were not made available by the time this article was written.
McGraw will now play Faith Heritage on the road on Monday (February 6th) at 7pm.
Varsity Indoor Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Teams (OHSL Division I Track and Field Championships)
The Homer Trojans competed in the “OHSL Division I Track & Field Championships” Wednesday evening at Onondaga Community College.
According to Homer head coach George Schneider, “athletes that won their event earned First Team All-League Honors. Athletes that finished second earned Second Team All-League Honors.”
Here are some highlights from Homer’s boys’ & girls’ teams:
- Logan Darling won 1st place in the weight throw event (Result - 52’6.75”). He also placed 3rd in the shot put event (Result - 39’6”).
- Jonah Campos placed 3rd in the weight throw event (Result - 46’3.5”). He also placed 4th in the shot put event (Result - 39’1.25”). His weight throw result qualified him for the State Qualifier.
- Gunnar Tyrrell finished 3rd in the triple jump event (Result - 38’4.5”). He also broke his own Freshman class record in the 55 meter dash with a time of 7.12 seconds, qualifying him for the Sectional Championship.
- Damian Brown came in 6th place in the 3,200 meter run (Time - 11:27.68).
- Cooper Van Dee placed 6th in the 300 meter dash (Time - 40.17).
- Camdyn Cole placed 3rd in the long jump event (Result - 14’11”). He also placed 4th in the triple jump event (Result - 32’4”).
- Camdyn Cole (28.9), Jane Gugerty (28.5), Ingrid Aagard (28.3), and Natalie Funk (30.1) finished in 3rd place in the 4x200 meter relay with an official time of 1:55.97.
- Jane Gugerty finished in 4th place in the 55 meter hurdles (Time - 9.60) as well as in the long jump event (Result - 14’10”).
- Molly McMasters placed 4th in the shot put event (Result - 27’4”). Her throw was a personal best.
- Ingrid Aagard came in 5th place in the 600 meter run (Time - 1:48.55). She also placed 6th in the 55 meter dash (Time - 7.85 seconds). Her 55 meter time broke her own freshman class record.
- Hannah Bouwens placed 5th in the shot put event (Result - 27’0”).
- Caitlin McCloy (71.1), Mia Knight (73.3), Natalie Funk (74.0), and Emma Effinger (67.7) placed 6th in the 4x400 relay with an official time of 4:46.08.
Varsity Boys Basketball: Cincinnatus vs. Hamilton
The Cincinnatus Lions lost a tough game against Hamilton with a score of 37-77 Wednesday night.
With this loss, Cincinnatus now holds a 2-12 record.
Cincinnatus was led by Canden Stafford (15 points), John Schuyler (9 points), and Joshua Roberts (5 points).
Hamilton was led by Hudson Idzi (27 points), Reese Snyder (12 points), and Lowell Nugent (10 points).
Up next, Cincinnatus is scheduled to host Stockbridge Valley on Friday (February 3rd) at 7pm.
Varsity Girls Basketball: McGraw vs. Madison
The McGraw Lady Eagles fell to a 1-10 record after losing 34-47 against Madison.
McGraw was led by Hannah Wilson (11 points) and Heather Magee (9 points).
Note: stats for Madison were not made available by the time this article was written.
McGraw’s next game will be played on the road this upcoming Monday (February 6th) at 6pm.
(Note: If a team’s game recap was not shown in this article, it’s because scores and stats of their game were not made available to us by the time this article was published).