A special thank you goes to Visions Federal Credit Union for partnering with us to provide the greater Cortland County community with additional sports coverage
Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Friday’s events:
Varsity Baseball: Mcgraw vs. General Brown
The McGraw Eagles ended the regular season with an overall record of 9-9 after beating General Brown on the road Friday evening. McGraw won the game with a score of 21-3.
McGraw was led by Calob Sutton (3 runs, 3 hits & 5 RBI’s), Riley VanLiew (3 runs, 4 hits & 3 RBI’s), Nathan Stiles (4 runs & 3 hits), Brennan Wilson (2 runs, 3 hits & 2 RBI’s), Blair Mulcahy (2 runs, 2 hits, 2 RBI’s & 4 strikeouts thrown), Lucas Monroe (2 runs, 1 hit & 1 RBI), Nick Sutton (1 run, 2 hit & 1 RBI), Thomas Lea (1 run, 2 hits, 1 RBI & 2 strikeouts thrown), Jaydon Bassett (2 runs), and Ryan Parks (1 RBI).
General Brown was led by Aiden McManaman (1 run, 1 hit, 2 RBI’s & 4 strikeouts thrown), Jerek Shoemaker (1 run), Ben Eichhorn (1 hit), and Brock McManaman (2 strikeouts thrown).
According to the Section III website, there will be a sectional tournament seeding meeting on Sunday, May 21st, 2023.
Varsity Girls Golf: Marathon vs. Multiple Teams (IAC Championships)
The Marathon Lady Olympians competed in the IAC Championships at the Hillendale Country Club in Ithaca Friday afternoon.
Click here for an article with all the results from Friday’s IAC Championship Tournament.
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Teams (Cicero-North Syracuse Invitational)
The Homer Trojans participated in the Cicero-North Syracuse Invitational Friday afternoon.
Here are some Homer boys’ and girls’ team highlights from Friday’s meet:
- Jonah Campos placed 3rd in the shot put event (Result - 42’4.5”)
- Logan Darling finished 5th in the discus thrown (Result - 123’0”)
- Cooper Van Dee recorded a time of 12.21 seconds in the 100 meter dash. His time qualifies him for sectionals
- Ingrid Aagaard finished 4th in the 400 meter run (Time - 61.64). Her time was a personal best, and broke the Homer freshman class record.
- Camdyn Cole placed 4th in the long jump (Result - 15’7”)
- Jane Gugerty came in 5th in the 400 meter hurdles (Time - 72.02)
- Mia Knight (2:54.0), Haley Tucker (3:01.4), Amelia Wagner (3:18.4), and Lydia Andre (2:52.9) placed 5th in the 4x800 meter relay (Time - 12:06.77)
- Amelia Wagner recorded a time of 9:02.36 in the steeplechase, which qualifies her for sectionals
This was Homer’s last scheduled meet of the season before the Sectional Championships, which are scheduled to take place at Camden high school on Thursday (May 25th) at 4pm.
(Note: Cortland County Coaches send scores & stats for us to use for our recaps. If a team’s game recap was not shown in this article, it’s because scores and stats of their game were not made available to us by the time this article was published).