A special thank you goes to Visions Federal Credit Union for partnering with us to provide the greater Cortland County community with additional sports coverage
Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Thursday’s events:
Varsity Track & Field: Cortland vs. Multiple Schools (Section III Class B Championships)
The Cortland Purple Tigers competed in the Section III Class B Championships at Camden high school Thursday afternoon.
According to Cortland boys track & field coach Luke Schweider, Cortland junior Jack Phelan was crowned sectional champion in the triple jump event.
The Cortland boys’ team ended up placing 5th out of 12 competing teams, while the Cortland girls’ team placed 11th out of 12 teams.
Here are some highlights from both the Cortland boys’ and girls’ teams:
- Jack Phelan won 1st place in the triple jump event (Result - 43’11.25)
- Iniko Abani got 2nd place in the high jump event (Result - 5’10”). He also placed 3rd in the 110 meter hurdles (Time - 17.78) and came in 6th place in the 400 meter hurdles (Time - 1:05.38)
- Bryan Honan came in 2nd place in the discus throw event (Result - 141’2”). He also placed 3rd in the shot put event (Result - 44’8.25”)
- Duncan Harbin placed 2nd in the shot put event (Result - 45’10.75”)
- Spenser Dodds finished 3rd in the 800 meter run (Time - 2:09.18)
- Cortland’s 4x100 meter relay team (Iniko Abani, Austin Lind, Tyler O'Brien & Jack Phelan) came in 4th place after recording a combined personal record time of 46.8 seconds
- Cortland’s 4x100 meter relay team (Campbell Bush, Ashley Merritt, Morgann Doane & Bailey Dintino) finished in 4th place with a combined time of 53.34 seconds
- Campbell Bush placed 5th in the 100 meter high hurdles (Time - 17.37)
- Bailey Dintino finished 5th in the 200 meter run (Time - 28.87)
- Ruby Mullally got 6th place in the 1,500 meter run (Time - 5:35.62)
- Rileigh Madden tied for 6th place in the pole vault event (Result - 7’0”)
Varsity Track & Field: Homer vs. Multiple Schools (Section III Class B Championships)
The Homer Trojans competed in the Section III Class B Championships Thursday afternoon at Camden high school.
The Homer boys’ team placed 12th overall out of 12 competing teams, while the Homer girls’ team placed 10th out of 12 teams.
Here are some highlights from both the Homer boys’ and girls’ teams:
- Logan Darling placed 3rd in the discus throw event (Result - 140’3”)
- Homer’s 4x800 meter relay team (Orion Bennett, Matt Fish, Damian Brown & Cooper Van Dee) finished in 6th place with an official time of 9:25.98
- Ingrid Aagaard placed 2nd in the 800 meter run (Time - 2:27.30). She also came in 6th place in the 100 meter dash (Time - 13.95)
- Homer’s 4x100 meter relay team (Natalie Funk, Camdyn Cole, Jane Gugerty & Ingrid Aagaard) finished in 5th place with a combined time of 53.47 seconds
- Homer’s 4x400 meter relay team (Natalie Funk, Camdyn Cole, Maliyah Parente & Ingrid Aagaard) came in 5th place with a combined time of 4:30.64
- Hannah Bouwen placed 6th in the shot put event (Result - 27’1.5”)
Varsity Baseball: Cortland vs. Camden (Sectional Quarterfinals)
The No.4 seeded Cortland Purple Tigers won in the quarterfinal round of the Section III Class B playoff tournament against No.5 seeded Camden. Cortland won the game with a score of 8-4 at the Gutchess Lumber Sports Complex Thursday evening.
Click here for an article on the game.
The Purple Tigers will be back in action this Saturday (May 27th), as they play in the semifinal round of the sectional tournament against No.9 seeded Skaneateles. at Onondaga Community college at 1pm.
Varsity Softball: Cincinnatus vs. Sackets Harbor (Sectional Quarterfinals)
The No.6 seeded Cincinnatus Lions’ season ended after losing a tough game against No.3 seeded Sackets Harbor in the quarterfinal round of the Section III Class D playoff tournament.
Cincinnatus lost the game with a score of 5-11.
Note: individual stats of the game were not made available by the time this article was written.
Cincinnatus ended their season with an overall record of 11-9.
(Note: Cortland County Coaches send scores & stats for us to use for our recaps. If a team’s game recap was not shown in this article, it’s because scores and stats of their game were not made available to us by the time this article was published).