SUNY Cortland President Erik J. Bitterbaum shared the following details on Commencement with students this week:
Although the pandemic impacted Commencement plans this year, I am happy to share that SUNY Cortland will hold an in-person ceremonial walk for all interested graduating students that will be livestreamed for your families.
Details of the event are still being finalized. I can, however, share the following information:
- The walk will take place on Wednesday, May 12 and Thursday, May 13 in Lusk Field House. You will have to register for a specific time slot. More information on the sign-up process will be shared shortly.
- COVID-19 safety measures such as face coverings and physical distancing will be enforced during the walk.
- To participate, students must have completed their degree conferral application through the “student” tab on myRedDragon by 4 p.m. on April 21.
- No guests will be allowed, but the walk will be streamed live for families and friends. Details will be provided soon.
- A photographer will be available for students who want a Commencement photo. Information about photo packages will be forthcoming.
- Students can purchase their cap and gown through the Campus Store. If graduating seniors choose not to purchase Commencement regalia, we ask they dress professionally.
- This will be done in conjunction with the already announced virtual commencement, which will be celebrated May 12 to 15. Learn more about Class of 2021 virtual celebration events online.
I want to express my sincerest thanks to the students who worked with us make a safe in-person celebration possible. My pride in this very special graduating class continues to grow.
All the best,
Erik J. Bitterbaum