Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Thursday’s events:
Varsity Girls Soccer: Marathon vs. Lansing
The Marathon Olympians lost a tough game against Lansing with a score of 2-5. This was Marathon’s first loss of the season, bringing them to a 2-1 overall record.
Both of Marathon’s goals were scored in the first half by Marissa Allen and Delta Barber.
Lansing’s offense was led by Ava Wilder (2 goals & 1 assist), Lulani Haslinger (2 goals), Hailey Jacobs (1 assist), and Isabelle Gustafson (1 assist).
Both Marathon goalkeeper Kendre Euson and Lansing goalkeeper Iris Boerman recorded 3 saves in the game each.
The Olympians will look forward to getting back on their winning ways on Saturday (September 11th), as they take on Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville on the road at 5:30pm.
Varsity Girls Soccer: Homer vs. Altmar-Parish-Williamstown
The Homer Trojans got their first win of the season after defeating Altmar-Parish-Williamstown (APW) on Thursday with a score of 3-1 on the road.
The Trojan’s offense was led by Camdyn Cole (1 goal & 1 assist), Sarah Sovocool (1 goal), and Jane Gugerty (1 goal).
APW’s only goal was scored by Jordan Ostrander in the first half.
Homer goalie Catherine Apker made 10 saves in the game, while APW’s goalie had 23 saves.
The now 1-2 Trojans will take on Cazenovia on the road on Saturday (September 11th) at 11am.
Varsity Field Hockey: Homer vs. Auburn
The Homer Trojans lost a difficult game against Auburn with a score of 0-1 at home.
The only goal of the game was scored in the second quarter of the game by Elizabeth O’Hara, giving Auburn the win.
Homer, now 2-1 on the season, will go against Cazenovia on the road on Saturday (September 11th) at 1:30pm.
Varsity Girls Tennis: Homer vs. Christian Brothers Academy
The Homer varsity girls tennis team is now 2-2 after a 0-7 loss to Christian Brother Academy (CBA) on Thursday
Here is a breakdown of Thursday’s matches:
- First Singles: Homer’s Emma Effinger lost to CBA’s Gieselle Vlassis (6-0 & 6-0).
- Second Singles: Homer’s Elia Spanbauer lost to CBA’s Hana Kang (6-2 & 6-3).
- Third Singles: Homer’s Charlotte Wallis lost to CBA’s Rowan Doyle (6-0 & 6-1).
- First Doubles: Homer’s Rachel Bouwens & Madelyn Cotterill lost to CBA’s Grace Catalano & Aubrey Mills (6-0 & 6-0).
- Second Doubles: Homer’s Georgia Wallis & Georgianna Goodwin lost to CBA’s Lily Geneocco & Isabella Mead (6-1 & 6-0).
- Third Doubles: Homer’s Lauren Franco & Molly Gallagher lost to CBA’s Allie Mancini & Maddie Kanerviko (6-3 & 6-0).
- Fourth Doubles: Homer’s Emily Barber & Nina Svereika lost to CBA’s Meredith Sommers & Audrey Schaefer (6-0 & 6-1).