Here are some local high school varsity sports recaps from Thursday's events:
Varsity Baseball: Homer vs. Marcellus
The Homer Trojans won 6-2 at home against Marcellus Thursday evening. According to Homer head coach Robert Nasiatka, with this win the Trojans improved to an overall record of 14-5 and secured the division title.
Homer was led by Joey Case (2 runs, 1 hit & 1 RBI), Tristan Allen (1 run), Mitchell Earle (1 run, 1 hit 7 12 strikeouts thrown), Ian Gilbert (1 run, 1 hit & 2 RBI’s), Maddox Johnson (1 hit), and Tanner Douglass (1 run).
Marcellus was led by Ian Potter (1 hit), John Francesconi (1 RBI), Adam Sullivan (1 run & 2 hits), Colin Johnson (1 run, 1 hit & 1 RBI), Hunter Byrne (1 strikeout thrown), and Nick Evans (1 strikeout thrown).
This was Homer’s last game of the regular season.
According to the Section III website, there will be a seeding meeting for the upcoming sectional tournament this Sunday (May 22nd).
Varsity Baseball: McGraw vs. Cincinnatus
The McGraw Eagles defeated Cincinnatus with a score of 12-0. With this result, McGraw improved to a 7-5-1 record, while Cincinnatus dropped to 2-10.
McGraw was led by Matthew Heath (1 run, 2 hits & 1 RBI), Nate Stiles (3 runs & 2 hits), Blake Bergey (2 runs, 1 hit & 4 strikeouts thrown), Nick Sutton (2 runs, 2 hits & 2 RBI’s), Jaydon Bassett (1 run, 2 hits & 1 RBI), Thomas Lea (2 runs, 3 hits & 1 RBI), and Riley VanLiew (1 run & 1 hit).
Cincinnatus was led by Scott Schuyler (1 hit) and Jordan Larrabee (1 hit).
This was Cincinnatus’ last scheduled game of the season.
Up next, McGraw is scheduled to play Brookfield on the road today (May 20th) at 4:30pm.
Varsity Boys Golf: McGraw vs. DeRuyter
The McGraw Eagles won against DeRuyter for the second time this week with a team score of 248-301. (Reminder: Lowest score in golf wins).
Here are the individual scores of each team:
- Zander Weeks - 41
- Tyler Smith - 56
- Blake Weeks - 53
- Ryan Parks - 53
- Barrett Zogg - 45
- Steven Zogg - 60*
- Cameron Daley - 44
- Isace Round - 59
- Adam Daley - 69
- Montana Marshall - 73
- Justin Booth - 56
Varsity Girls Golf: Marathon vs. Moravia
The Marathon Lady Olympians played Moravia Thursday afternoon.
Note: Moravia did not have a full team. Therefore, no team scores were recorded.
Here are the individual results of yesterday’s matches:
- Savanna Warfield - 54
- Katherine Anderson - 50
- Abigail Ensign - 49
- Cailin Martin - 56
- Kendre Euson - 60
- Addison Moore - 50
Varsity Track & Field: Cortland vs. Multiple Schools (2022 SCAC Empire Championships)
The Cortland Purple competed in the 2022 SCAC Empire Championships against multiple teams Thursday afternoon.
The Cortland boys’ team finished 7th out of 8 competing teams, while the Cortland girls’ team also finished 7th out of 8 teams.
Here are some individual highlights of yesterday’s meet for both the Cortland boys’ and girls’ track & field teams:
- Jack Phelan came in 5th place in the 100 meter dash (Time- 11.95) and in the triple jump event (Result- 39’03.25”). He also placed 6th in the 200 meter dash (Time- 24.08).
- Asa Terwilliger placed 6th in the 800 meter run (Time- 2:14.61).
- Jared Valentin won 1st place in the 1,600 meter run (Time- 4:36.46) and the 3,200 meter run (Time- 10:13.73).
- Cortland’s 4x400 meter relay team (Asa Terwilliger, Reagan Hillman, Ford Egnor, and Dylan Slater) came in 6th place with an overall time of 4:28.66.
- Jack Waldbauer placed 6th in the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 1:03.60) and in the high jump event (Result- 5’02).
- Jack Ryan came in 6th in the pole vault event (Result- 7’06”).
- Bryan Honan came in 6th in the discus throw event (Result- 103’08”).
- Ella Quick won 1st place in the 400 meter run (Time- 1:00.71).
- Campbell Bush finished 2nd in the 100 meter hurdles (Time- 17.92).
- Sarah Williams placed 6th in the 100 meter hurdles (Time- 19.34). She also came in 5th in the 400 meter hurdles (Time- 1:18.77).
- Cortland’s 4x100 meter relay team (Campbell Bush, Maude Terwilliger, Ella Ligas, and Celeste Perkins) came in 5th place with an overall time of 54.70 seconds.
- Chaenaya Underwood tied for 5th place in the pole vault event (Result- 7’0”).
- Rileigh Madden tied for 5th placed in the pole vault event (7’0”).
- Celeste Perkins won 1st place in the triple jump event (Result- 34’07.75”). She also placed 6th in the long jump event (Result- 15’07.50”).