Over 40 chickens lost in chicken coop fire

(Photo provided by Chief Adam Brown, Virgil Fire Department).

Over 40 chickens were lost in a recent barn fire in Cortland County, according to a report.

According to a post by Virgil fire chief Adam Brown, a direct call was received around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday for a chicken coop (20x12 pole barn) on fire. A crew was on scene at a location on Washington Street in the town of Virgil in an attempt to stop a potential fire extension to the main barn. Additional tankers were requested from Cortlandville and Dryden.

According to the report, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire. The report noted that the cause of the fire was believed to be from a heat lamp.

The report stated that between 40 to 50 chickens were lost in the fire. One chicken, however, made it out.

Cortland County 911 provided assistance on the response. Corning Natural Gas was requested to isolate a gas service and meter after radiant heat from the fire melted the main barn gas meter.

(Photo provided by Chief Adam Brown, Virgil Fire Department).