Local restaurant causes stomach illness outbreak

(Photo provided by google maps).

The Cortland County Health Department is alerting residents of an outbreak of Campylobacteriosis among people who ate at Wild Ginger, Main St., Cortland, between 10/18/2019 and 10/31/2019.  Seven people have tested positive as testing continues.

Campylobacteriosis is an infectious disease caused by Campylobacter bacteria.  Symptoms can include diarrhea (often bloody), fever, and abdominal cramps.  The diarrhea may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting.  These symptoms usually start within 2 to 5 days after exposure and last about a week.  Some infected people do not have any symptoms.

Although people with Campylobacter infection usually recover on their own, some need medical treatment, especially people with weakened immune systems and those receiving chemotherapy. Anyone experiencing these symptoms after eating at Wild Ginger between 10/18-10/31/2019 should contact their medical provider.

Most illnesses likely occur due to eating raw or undercooked poultry, or to eating something that touched it.  Campylobacter is not usually spread from person to person.  Health Department staff are working with the restaurant to identify and eliminate the source of bacteria.

The Health Department has alerted area physicians, hospitals and other health care providers to the outbreak asking them to test and treat as indicated.

“While gastrointestinal illness is never pleasant, campylobacteriosis is usually self-limiting and most people recover without treatment” says Catherine Feuerherm, Public Health Director. “We ask that anyone experiencing symptoms wash their hands frequently and be excluded from working in food handling jobs and in caring for vulnerable people in daycares, nursing homes and hospitals during the time of infection”.

Anyone with questions may contact the Cortland County Health Department at (607) 753-5028. Option #4